CompanionLink for Outlook is software designed to sync Outlook to an Android in one of four ways. CompanionLink's main software runs on the PC and they provide a suite of apps called DejaOffice that run on the Android. DejaOffice contains apps for calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes and they are required for every method of syncing except the first. Here are the four methods of syncing:
- Wirelessly, Outlook data is synced to Google's services. Outlook calendar, contacts, and tasks are transferred wirelessly to Google Calendar and Google Contacts (tasks are sent to the calendar). From there, the Android device uses the built in sync to transfer Google Calendar and Contacts to the native calendar and contact apps.
- Through a USB cable, Outlook data can be securely transferred to the DejaOffice apps on the Android.
- Through a local Wi-Fi network, Outlook data can be securely transferred to the DejaOffice apps on the Android.
- Through CompanionLink's CL Secure Hosted Sync service, Outlook data which has been encrypted by CompanionLink on the PC is sent to the DejaOffice apps on the Android through CompanionLink's secure servers.
There are some things that stand out about CompanionLink for Outlook:
- Outlook 2000-2016 is supported, including both the 32 and 64 bit versions.
- The Wi-Fi sync option allows a proximity sync feature that activates whenever the Android is detected on the Wi-Fi network.
- Private records may be password protected and encrypted providing the highest level of security on the Android.
- Those who desire or are required to have a secure method of syncing, but do not have an Exchange server at work, will be very pleased to have the option of syncing through CompanionLink's CL Secure Hosted Wireless service. Even those who have Exchange at work, but whose network administrators do not allow syncing from Exchange to Androids can use this feature to securely sync.
- If you want to continue to use the native calendar and/or contacts apps on the Android, you can configure DejaOffice to sync the data in it's apps with the corresponding native Android apps. Of course, if you are syncing wirelessly through Google's services, you don't need to install DejaOffice.
- CompanionLink offers free email and US based phone support.
- You can install a single licensed copy on up to 3 PCs. Other software vendors make you buy a license for each PC, which makes this software a bargain if you are syncing between multiple PCs.
- CompanionLink offers a 90 day money back guarantee.
- Updates for the version you purchase are free for life, while other vendors offer only 1 year of free updates.
CompanionLink will sync subfolders and categories, perform a one or two way sync, and has the ability to exclude personal data from being synced. Since CompanionLink offers a 14 day free trial, both free email and telephone support, and a 90 day money back guarantee, there is everything to gain and nothing to lose.
There are two ways of purchasing CompanionLink. A 3 month subscription can be purchased for $14.95 or a full version can be purchased for $49.95. The subscription has certain benefits. You always have the most recent version of CompanionLink available, only pay every 3 months, pay less up front, and have automatic payments made every 3 months. A fully purchased version costs more up front, but costs less in the long run. While you do get free updates for the life of the version you purchased (E.G. version 4 or version 5), the subscription payments also allow you to install all new versions and not just updates.
For those who dislike syncing through Google's services, but still want to sync wirelessly, CompanionLink has two more solutions. First, they offer a Hotmail sync solution which will sync Outlook calendar and contacts with Hotmail. On the Android, a Hotmail account can be configured to receive email, contacts, and calendar events to complete the sync. While this offers an alternative to Google's services, only calendar and contacts are synced and data is still stored on a third party's servers.
CompanionLink offers a better solution through their Secure Hosted Wireless Sync solution. Outlook calendar, contacts, tasks and notes are encrypted on the PC and transmitted wirelessly through the internet to the Android where it is decrypted and synced. The encrypted sync process also sends data from the Android back to the PC. Since the data is encrypted before leaving the PC or Android, there is no way for the data to be viewed by any middleman like Google, Microsoft, or even CompanionLink. This process provides the convenience of wireless syncing with the security many feel is missing when using Google's services. This service comes with an additional cost of $9.95 per month.
A benefit to using a dedicated calendar app like CompanionLink's DejaCalendar is that you can search through your calendar on the Android, which is something painfully missing from the native Android calendar app. If you want to sync multiple calendar or contact folders (not to be confused with syncing subfolders, which CompanionLink for Outlook does), you may only do this with the CompanionLink Professional, which sells for $129.95.
One nice idea is to install DejaOffice on your Android even if you are not going to purchase CompanionLink. It is free. You can have DejaOffice sync the native Android calendar and contacts to the DejaOffice calendar and contacts automatically and then use the more powerful DejaOffice apps for free.
If you are interested in learning more or buying the software, follow the links below to the CompanionLink website. If you do purchase CompanionLink, using the Affinity code of ICT8033 during the sale will help support this site. Thank you!
CompanionLink for Outlook Picture Gallery
DejaCalendar - Day, Week, Month views
Advanced Settings - General Settings
Advanced Settings - Field Mapping
Advanced Settings - Application Settings
Auto Synchronization Settings
Outlook Settings - Category Filter
Outlook Settings - Applications
If you are interested in learning more or buying the software, follow the links below to the CompanionLink website. If you do purchase CompanionLink, using the Affinity code of IC8033 during the sale will help support this site. Thank you!